View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #80
ArchPrime

Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
ArchPrime is on a distinguished road
Re: The mud client poll

In order to reach a larger audience of both current players and new players, the concept of using a mishmash of useful protocols needs to disappear, and something standard between all servers and clients needs created. The best use of my time is certainly not trying to write plugins / scripts for the various clients out there so that users can experience my game as I intend. I believe there are a large number of folks that feel the same -- hence the use of custom Flash/Java clients on many MUDs. If we could all agree upon a widget set (minimap, status bars, button bars, etc), and a way to skin them, and allow that to be controlled by the server (similar to a web browser), then there would be no need to create "custom clients" with their "custom protocols". I could, as a MUD developer, write my game and I know users would experience it exactly the same, regardless of what MU* client they chose to use. At this time, there has been no widely supported, out-of-thebox, client supported display protocols outside of what MUDs originally used: ascii/text over telnet.

There have been projects to create and document standards (ie: mudstandards.org) -- but they seem to go down in a ball of flames.
ArchPrime is offline   Reply With Quote