View Single Post
Old 03-11-2003, 04:04 PM   #7
Quietude

Quietude is on a distinguished road
If you are willing to try a pay MUD, I think you might like Inferno () -- it has the best crafting system I've come across, and it is RP enforced. Back when I was playing, the people logged on averaged around 40 at peak times; it's been a while since I played, though, so that might have changed.

The crafting system doesn't just rely on round time, although each step involves some. For example, with weaving, you need to forage fibers, spin them into yarn with a spinning wheel, weave different yarns into different cloths on a loom, dye the cloth with various parts skinned off animals, sew the cloth into the article of clothing you want, and then add buttons or whatever other ornamentation you're going for.

Advancement for a crafter is very slow, and while there are a multitude of crafts (weaponsmithing, armorsmithing, leather armor crafting, bow carving, weaving, jewelry making, and ore smelting are all crafts proper, and there are other skills like herb lore, animal training, and mining that have some crafting-like aspects), you would end up focusing strongly on one for some time if you wanted to be good enough to sell things. If you're looking for a great deal of variety right from the start, it's not the game for you, but you can get there with time.
Quietude is offline   Reply With Quote