View Single Post
Old 02-10-2016, 05:14 AM   #7
Centauri

Centauri is on a distinguished road
Re: Reinvigorating MUDs

My take might not represent the community at large, but this is what I do:
Players come in as non-programmers, they can buy things, and learn how to customize the messages that object produces, say a container that becomes Daveys locker, after that they can add widgets, canned software that adds fucntionality, like a push button that can do some other action. One player made a an electronic fly-zapper using this technique. beyond this, there is some hand-holding and more training, but it leads to programming after a time.
Some people are happy to just wander a world, while others do like to do more, and the trick of allowing programming or building-like things without the full actual $builder or $programmer class gets interesting. I let my advanced players handle this through a special membership in an architectural review board, where players can promote other players, based on reviewing existing works.
There is a special $progression DB that tracks how far along each player is, and they can create a certain number of things based upon this score or value, and as they progress they get more.
There is also Apartments for rent, where some special compensation has been made for a renter to customize things like the main room desc, seating, etc, all resettable to a default. in this way, a renter can customize their place, but when they leave it, it can be easily reset for the next person that rents this space.
All of this teaches the build process, and encourages people to try to do more than just see things from the outside.
Each MUD is vastly different, and as such, how such a thing is implemented would be very custom, but this is my way to see who has the potential to become good builders, a little at a time.
Centauri is offline   Reply With Quote