View Single Post
Old 06-03-2005, 04:08 PM   #115
Aeyr

Aeyr is on a distinguished road
You're not comparing apples to apples here (neither of you are, if you're defending this argument). The assumption is that your average player has some ratio of time:money which is constant (obviously there's always going to be special cases where people have both more time and money than your average player. That's just life).

However, if we wanted to get all mathematical about it, we can do this:

That equation from before:
[code]
Established 'free' mud player; eq/skills/knowhow/etc + a * (time) + b * (money/perks)
Established 'perk' mud player; eq/skills/knowhow/etc + a * (time) + b * (money/perks)
Where a + b = k (some constant)

Let's just set k to 1 (because we're saying average players)
Established 'free' mud player; a = 1.0, b = 0.0
Established 'perk' mud player; a=ehhh 0.3, b=0.7 (whatever, it's flexible)
[/quote]

The point is, in a free (or subscription) mud, you're forced to have that second term be non-existent.

Now, that's, as I said, with the assumption that the average player a + b = some constant (in this case,  1.0). For your rich kid on summer break, that constant ISN'T a constant. So let's see that:

[code]
Free/Subscription model;
Me; a=1.0, b=0.0 (k=1.0)
Rich kid; a=2.0, b=0.0 (k=2.0)

Perk Model;
Me; a=0.3, b=0.7 (k=1.0)
Rich kid; a=2.0, b=1.5 (k=3.5, the bastard)
[/quote]

I lose in both, but I expect to. Where's the point you're trying to make?
At least in the perk model I have the freedom to choose which resource I want to spend, time AND/OR money.

First, for most games I've played, the actual amount of skill involved is pretty miniscule. It's mostly about the eq/levels/etc that you can gain to make you better. (IRE games being a pretty #### good example of an exception to this btw.)

Second, it's a subjective comparison at best anyway. I enjoy pitting my 'skill' against other people in Halo 2 (a free/subscription model), but I still feel a bit like an underdog because I just don't have the reflexes of a 14 year old anymore. I don't get upset and feel that the 14 year olds have some advantage I don't. I just deal with it and feel that much better when I can beat them.
Aeyr is offline   Reply With Quote