View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 11:47 PM   #10
Akacro

Akacro is on a distinguished road
Re: IRE MUDs: Credit System (and/or Time Investment)

Let me just say that I crafted my post yesterday shortly after Estarra's post but had to wait until tonight to get registered so I could reply. So, here gos.

I have played Achaea for almost nine years now and I am certainly not a heavy credit purchaser. I have bought roughly 2000 credits over the course of that time on three characters and I still come back consistantly. And while I'd agree at your level of 'donations' you won't be among the top 'credit whores' as they're called but will definately hold a lifestyle above your average Achaean (or any IRE mud) player. That being said there are a number of high profile characters/players who don't purchase credits at all
The thing to understand is most artefacts, barring a few cheap exceptions, cost at least 300-500 credits for their simple version, a level one health regen ring for example, and go significantly up in price for the higher versions, anywhere from 700 credits to 2500 in some cases.
I'll assume you didn't do any research into the costs of credits, so I'll give you a brief tutorial. Credits go down in price the more you buy. So 10 credits will cost you $4.99 or 49.9 cents each, a 100 credits will cost you $39.99 or 40 cents each, and the largest standard package (larger packages are available if you talk to the admin in charge of credit purchases) of 2000 credits costs $579.99 or 29 cents per credit. Also, for a limited time (until mid April) you can purchase lessons for learning your skills at a greatly discounted rate compared to buying credits (which can be converted into lessons). This is a definite bonus for new players as getting your skills up is a much more important and cheaper hurdle than getting artefacts.
Now, for everything except artefacts 100 credits a month is a very reasonable stipend and most players aren't so lucky. You will never want for the basics of playing and it will be the luxuries that will likely be your goals in the financial arena. However, if it's feasible I'd recommend adopting a save and splurge strategy. IRE holds credit sales where anywhere from 10-25% bonuses on credits purchased are implemented (usually once around Christmas and again sometime mid-year) as well as other types of sales and bonuses from time to time. By saving your $40 a month for six months you could get 870 credits at a sale instead of 600 over the individual months for $231 instead of the $240 the 600 would cost you.
As for time donation 20 hours a week is extremely reasonable and while you certainly will see may others who spend more time (I average about 30 hours a week) you will see a good number of people who play much less.
All in all I'd be glad to help you learn the ins and outs of the game and answer any further questions you may have. In short, your willingness to spend a reasonable amount of money will go a long way towards your ability to play effectively, but remember, skill cannot be bought it must be learned and earned.

Your friendly neighbourhood,
Akacro
(public address)
Akacro is offline   Reply With Quote