View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 12:05 AM   #1
svarnmarn

svarnmarn is on a distinguished road
Why so few Mud Making Programs/Websites?

Hello there, I'm hoping this is the right category to post in.

I'll start by throwing down my cards - I've been playing MUDs on and off for about 9 years on a variety of different servers. I am interested in designing/running my own MUD. Money is not a problem but I have neither the time nor the inclination to really learn C (or any other programming language).

I found mudmaker.com maybe 6 months ago (don't worry this is not an ad - I don't use them and wouldn't recommend them as they have basically shut down). Hopefully you guys are aware of them and have seen their system - essentially you've got a bunch of forms and drop-down menus on the website which you use to build your game. The idea is that they will release updates as time goes on to add more functionality - essentially handling the coding aspect.

As I mentioned earlier their site hasn't been updated in a long time but it got me thinking - I think it's a really good idea. So why don't I see more sites/programs like this? Am I alone in wanting to make a MUD but not wanting to dive into code? Is it more complicated than I imagine for some maverick programmer to build a program that creates the MUD for you, like a WYSIWYG web editor?

Maybe I've missed something here; maybe there's a program out there I could install; maybe there's a website I have missed.

Let me know.
Svarn.
svarnmarn is offline   Reply With Quote