Thread: Power Gamers
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 04:14 PM   #3
ScourgeX

Home MUD: Scourge of Time
ScourgeX is on a distinguished road
Re: Power Gamers

I think of myself as more a "grinder" than a power gamer as I'm willing to put in the same time investment as a power gamer, but I'm not good at "min-maxing" and it will take me longer to get to a certain point in calendar time (the same number of game hours, just spread out). Personally, I think I'd like a game where I could just level forever and there'd be harder mobs for me to keep leveling on with no end game. My mud isn't like this, but it has a lot of "extra" levels when you reach the max mortal level. I've learned two things in 4 years of running a mud:

1. The majority of players seem to want an end game. To me, the extra levels were the "end game", but to many it just means a bunch more levels to "grind" through to get to the "end". As players are now actually get through all the levels, I now have the challenge of finding new things for these players (either power gamers or players like myself). Personally, I'd love have more levels for my character that is at the "end", but I don't know if that is the right thing to do. I've put both more levels and some other ideas up for a vote to my players, too early to see how that will turn out.

2. All slowing down power gamers does is hurt casual players. If I could turn the clock back 4 years, I'd get rid of the "hour penalty" that is built into ROM. It's frustrating for new players and they either end up leaving, or spend time doing the minimum amount of activity allowed to gain hours. Also, someone who has spent time getting resources with an alt can still level pretty fast with low hours if they really want to.
ScourgeX is offline   Reply With Quote