View Single Post
Old 06-05-2005, 04:03 PM   #130
Aeyr

Aeyr is on a distinguished road
Sorry guys, I'm not misreading the analogy. Look at it again.

Your complaint is that IRE games shouldn't be able to say they're free to play. And in your analogy you SHOULD be saying the pub is free to enter and enjoy (assuming it has no cover/door charge to get in). The pub isn't saying the beer is free. Nor is IRE advertising the credits are free (though they actually can be obtained without spending money, as I previously mentioned).

You're comparing the entering and playing of Achaea with the buying of beer in a pub, it's just not the same.

Anyway, I'm not going to bother trying to convince you that free = "don't have to pay for it" because that seems pretty self-evident to me, and since you're not willing to concede that, there's no point in discussing it further really.

I think you guys are arguing the wrong point anyway. I think the point you should be trying to argue is that muds-where-you-CAN'T-pay-for-advancement-with-real-world-money (or can with only a fixed 'boolean' amount of advancement) should have a special category in the listing here on TMS so that people know that. I think that's great, you/they should have that. It doesn't invalidate IRE games' claim to the word "free" though. IRE games apply in pretty much any interpretation of the word. The onus is on you/them to think of some word/term that encapsulates what you're trying to convey (a word that isn't "free", since you don't want to be grouped with other free-to-play muds).
Aeyr is offline   Reply With Quote