View Single Post
Old 10-17-2003, 08:32 PM   #9
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
I highly recommend both Shadows of Isildur and Harshlands. I've been playing Harshlands for four years now and Shadows of Isildur since it opened earlier this year.

I too searched and searched for a great RPI MUD, trying over 800 MUDs in the process. Of course, most turned out to be H&S, not RPI. The difficulty in finding a good RPI MUD is akin to finding a virgin at the Playboy Mansion. But, the following list includes the better (and free) ones I've found, plus a short review of each:

Harshlands: My first RPI and still one of the best. The (highly-modified DIKU) code is great and eliminates all the H&S elements that most MUDs possess, including so-called "role-playing" ones. Based on the Harn system, it's got incredible detail and depth that is hard to find, and even harder to top. Rating: ****

Shadows of Isildur: Just opened this year and already looks great. Using the same code as Harshlands (though tweaked in several ways), SoI derives its theme from Tolkien. However, unlike many MUDs that claim to be accurate representations of Middle-Earth, this one makes good on the claim. Rating: ****

Forever Ends: Presently retooling, this game offers an original world. Using an earlier version of Harshlands' (DIKU) code, it too offers a great RPI experience. Hopefully, it'll be back up and running soon. Rating: ***1/2

Armageddon: Using its own version of (highly modified DIKU) code, Armageddon offers a larger playerbase than the above MUDs. With a world even harsher than Harshlands, Armageddon's a bit tough to succeed in, but then again, that makes success all the better once achieved. Rating: ***

Southlands: Another unique modified DIKU MUD, Southlands features all-Elven characters. Not quite as good (in my opinion, that is) as the above four, but that's still like saying a million dollars isn't as good as two million. Rating: **1/2

There have been other RPI MUDs that no longer exist that could compete with these, but at present, this is my Top Five list of RPI MUDs.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote