Thread: Power Gamers
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 05:05 PM   #6
Xerihae

Name: Chris
Xerihae will become famous soon enough
Re: Power Gamers

Just to quote this and repsond to this specific point, I would argue that the sense of "hopelessness" you mention the more average players feel is their own problem. I find it incredulous these days that people can't seem to grasp the idea that someone may be better than them than something, despite the fact it's as true in gaming as in every other facet of life. Any competitive activity is going to end up with some people who are better than the others, and there's no shame in coming second to someone who's just plain better than you.

As an example, I love to compose music. I realise I'm not the best in the world at it, and I even have friends who are better trained or naturally talented at it than I am. As long as they don't try and put on an elitist attitude towards me, I fail to see why them being better than me is a bad thing. Everyone has limits, but the way people talk these days you'd think that anyone can do anything if only they had the same opportunities. It's just not true. Some people are better at things than others and always will be.
Xerihae is offline   Reply With Quote