View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 03:38 PM   #17
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: Power Gamers

I don't think I've ever seen an example of this unless it's flat out designed into the game itself. (Fairy Land allows you to leave the computer while your character continues to do the last button you pushed.) What kind of games actually encourage botting and why? It doesn't make any sense to me to make computers play each other unless it's some sort of coding test. If I were to play a multiplayer-game, I would want to play with live people. I know that Final Fantasy X had a HUGE botting issue that made players quit in droves. It's why I decided that game was not for me. They spent most of their time breaking bots. The same thing with WoW. They spend a ton of time breaking fishing bots, and fishing isn't that major in WoW.

I'm very interested in the idea that people will make games that actually encourage botting and what the game design idea is behind it. Is it simply to allow people to test their coding powers against each other? If that's what the game is about, then I'm not sure that I would automatically classify the botter as a "power gamer". It seems then that they're just doing what the game intended for them to do in the manner in which they were intended to do it.

Last edited by Milawe : 09-02-2007 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Bad sentence structure. Didn't make sense.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote