View Single Post
Old 09-17-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: Hardcore Older Gamer :-)

Well hi there old guy! I got my computer starts on a DOS machine, my first PC somewhere around 1989. I was hooked up to FidoNet through a friend who was a SysOp with couple of lines out of his house. I was active on an herbology board for awhile, and played some kind of turn-based adventuring RP game at one point. This was back before the Mouse was a household item, and I typed things using MultiMate, hitting the Alt key to access the menu. I still do that for my OpenOffice stuff, and most everything else. I have a mouse but I don't really use it all that much.

My next computer was Windows 3.11 for Workgroups. Used to love the heck out of finding all the easter eggs in that thing. That was when I really learned to appreciate DOS. I bit my coding teeth on Basic (not Visual Basic - just plain old Basic), back when our computer was this enormous box in another room with reel-to-reel tapes spinning on it. The computers in the classrooms were dummy terminals, and our programs came out on ticker tape at the teletype machine in the corner of the room.

I ended up becoming more of a software user-geek than a coder, but I still remember my old BBS days where I discovered "other people" in the virtual world.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote