View Single Post
Old 02-19-2003, 03:17 PM   #17
Burke

Burke is on a distinguished road
I play on a free-to-play MUD but that does not mean I will always want to. Frankly if I had more money I might find more expensive hobbies or check out pay-for-play MUDs more seriously. I feel our discretional income has a lot to do with our choices.

I used to feel that games where you bought your way to the top had something wrong with the setup. I mean, buying your way to the top? Speaking generally that has always had a negative connotation where I am from. But the truth is that free MUD players "buy" their way to the top as well.

I have heard in business circles that you have a choice to make when doing something. Either you throw money at a project or you throw time at it. The idea is that there is a tradeoff between time and money and are to some degree interchangable. Cash heavy businesses have the option of paying for it so they can spend time doing other things. Those without cash might have the company owner do a lot of the work so he can save his money for other things. Or a combination of both.

It occurred to me that this is exactly what happens on free MUDs. People who are top players, in a general sense anyways, are the ones that spend tons of time there.

It suddenly dawned on me that paying so you would not have to spend all that time was a very valid choice and that some people would be willing to do it. I sometimes want to do it myself. I have been at a MUD for 3 years and when I check out other quality MUDs it dawns on me eventually that it will take me at least a year to feel comfortable in what I am doing like I do on my MUD. Paying to avoid that startup period sounded very good to me.

I just wanted to point out that everyone has different reasons to MUD and are in different situations, and that there is a MUD out there that suits your needs, free or pay.
Burke is offline   Reply With Quote