View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road
Re: Are there any MOO coders out there?

Are we talking about mud client compression protocol or mud server data protocol? If we're talking about mccp, that puts a different spin on it: I thought we were talking about msdp, and KaVir's UI plugin.

Compressing things in moocode will probably be too slow, yes, and should probably be put in the server anyway; using msdp shouldn't be, or should be implemented as helper functions of some sort. At least in my opinion. If you're using the stunt.io server, there is a version of the moo programming manual and reference on that site tailored for that server, which also includes the extensions he added, or at least some of them.

I would be interested to find out how fast something like compression could run in moocode, especially on a decent server. Moocode is possibly at least as fast as java, at least before java finishes "warming up", and that might actually work. Maybe I'll get a boring few months sometime, and try this.

If it helps with your benchmarking, discworld mudlib does most of the protocol handling (possibly all, can't remember if it has mccp or not) in lpc.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote