View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #74
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: RPI, RPE, and Roleplay

I didn't insult her. If I'd said she's only as smart as you, that'd be an insult. I didn't say that. She's already smarter than you are. As elements of English like adjectives are taught either in the later stages of grade school or at least early junior high and she just entered pre-school, it's likely that in another 5-7 years she'll likely be more educated than you as well.

Oh?

. The term is used by a newbie to the game and thus it's clear that it's already in common use on Armageddon. There's also the possibility that since it's being used by a newbie to Armageddon that the term's application to a specific type of game is also known in the greater community. Additionally, the reference to permanent character death in that post demonstrates one of the features to which this term includes. also reveals another of the 19 characteristics: separation of IC and OOC knowledge.

Unfortunately, Arm does not list all of their old discussions, only those they chose to archive. Hence, finding an earlier example of its use that has been saved may be more difficult. Nevertheless, this proves that the term Role-Play Intensive was already in common use by 2001 as was the acronym RPI.

. They haven't changed much since then and thus were in place in 2001 when the term RPI was in use to describe Armageddon. Note that numerous policies found in the 19 characteristics of RPIs are found in Arm's rules in 1997 (and today) such as separation of IC and OOC information, a concentration on in-character behavior and a policy against simultaneous multiple characters.

As the term was in obvious use by that point to describe Armageddon and you have yet to provide any proof that it was being used to describe any other games, at the very least it suggests that the 19 characteristics shared by Armageddon and Harshlands comprise elements of the definition of RPI. It could be argued, since I have yet to find any old threads relating the term to Harshlands, that the definition of RPI could therefore be even more exact in its detail although I first enountered the term RPI in regard to both Arm and Harshlands back in early 2000(again, documentation from that period is fragmentary).

So where's your proof that it was being used to describe any other games at this time?

And you are wrong again. The aforementioned link shows use of the acronym RPI as well as the term Role-Play Intensive. As it also uses Hack & Slash as an adjective and relates that term to Role-Play Intensive ("Hack 'n' Slash vs. Role Play Intensive") which the user denotes has characteristics which are different to other games he's played ("going to have to readjust to RPI, unlearning my Hack'n'Slash ways").

The following comments by you don't really constitute countering my points because they have nothing to do with the question of the term RPI. They're the result of your lame attempt to use personal attacks and claims of insult in lieu of defending your position but I thought I'd address them anyway.

If a person lacks knowledge, that's ignorance. If a person can not understand a sentence in their own primary language, that's either a reflection of their poor education or their lack of intelligence. Neither of these are insults and considering it's been estimated that as much as 40% of the American public is illiterate to some degree, it's not far off to suggest that figure could easily apply here as well. Your repeated inability to comprehend that Role-Play Intensive does not mean the same thing as "intense role-play" is proof of that. Don't blame me for your ignorance and take offense at the fact nor should anyone else.

Again, you also bring up the topic of my education. I don't haul out my degrees in the forums to make points but you seem obsessed with referencing them. You really are insecure about that aren't you? So how far did you get before you dropped out? Tenth grade? Eleventh?

I'm still waiting for you to explain this outlandish insult. So far you haven't been able to and it's my suspicion, as I've already said, that you're simply trying to play the role of a victim, paint your opponent (in this case, me) as a villain and thus hope that it sways people to support your disproven position out of sympathy regardless of your inability to defend it.

Lame, dude. Lame.

Who's this history professor to which you refer? Or is it merely another figment of your insecurity and hostility toward people with an education?

That might very well be the dumbest thing you've said. What have I misinterpreted? Please elaborate.

Last edited by prof1515 : 09-21-2009 at 06:58 PM.
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote