Thread: Suicide
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2003, 03:40 AM   #7
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Yeah, I cry at movies sometimes, though usually not at the typical cheap, maudlin romance movies that Hollywood puts out. I tend to cry at moments of sacrifice or heroism in movies, particularly those involving revolutions or some sort of conflict against a oppressive authority. My dad fought in the '56 revolution against the Soviets in Budapest, and I think that fact probably influences my emotional soft points.

For instance, my #1 crying moment in a movie is in Casablanca, when the French in Rick's start singing the Marseillaise to drown out the Germans who are singing their anthem. I cry sometimes at Gandalf's death in Fellowship too. Great scene, that one. Or, ooer, this is a good one: Watch all the Godfather movies in the space of a week or so. The final scene of the (generally inferior) Godfather III is cry-worthy to me. It's just slams the inevitability of death into your face...rams in the fact that you're going to die no matter what you accomplish and that everybody dies fundamentally alone.

I also almost never cry in a theater. Only when I'm alone at home watching a movie. I can't get into movies as much in a theater as everytime someone coughs or whispers it breaks my immersion.

However, to bring my post back on-topic (ie muds), doesn't competition stir up your emotions? Don't you feel anxious, defeated, triumphant, etc? I really think that the ability to arouse emotion is one of the two most noble things a creative art can do (the other being reveal something profound or create a tapestry on which someone else can reveal something profound).
-matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote