View Single Post
Old 11-03-2005, 08:34 AM   #42
illusoryneptune

illusoryneptune is on a distinguished road
Things that make me NOT want to play a MUD? Well, that's easy. The biggest turn off for me is a petty and unprofessional staff. Ideally, staff members should have absolutely no contact with players except through forums and official email channels. I think the reason "Why?" is obvious so I won't get into that. The last MUD I played over the last four years(Unwritten Legends) was just about the complete opposite of this ideal. I started to discover this after I decided to try and be a bit more social and start chatting with other players in my 9 months there.

I discovered that staff members and the owner would regularly have group chats over AIM with only certain players. Staff members would individually chat with players over AIM( I know this because I actually chatted with them over AIM to ask them why they were doing this). Incidentally, no staff contact in rule number one over there and that rule is ignored. I also discovered that staff members would berate certain players, delete posts and come up with ways to shut you up if you're criticisms hit too close to home by fabricating "3 strikes Warning systems" and telling you that you were on your last strike when you didn't even know you had two in the first place.

These are just examples of the sort of behaviour that forces me to quit a MUD. The players, the RP and the game itself may be wonderful but weak and unethical leadership has a way of ruining the whole experience.

illusory neptune
illusoryneptune is offline   Reply With Quote