View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 02:17 PM   #41
Maraz

Maraz is on a distinguished road
Some of my personal dislikes may be somewhat controversial. Obviously we are all different and I aknowledge that some of my likes and dislikes are minority views.

One thing which I personally find annoying is where realism takes precedent over game play. Best example of this is having to eat and drink to live. I wouldn't have a problem if the MUD was designed such that survival in itself was part of the game, but to put it in for sakes of realism seems pointless to me. Another thing like this is coming into a world naked or MUDs where you cannot put clothing in your description. Again if it made sense to the game I might not be bothered, but I don't really understand these kind of things.

Another thing which I don't like is long room descriptions. Anything over 6 lines I would be unlikely to read, unless it was perhaps a very important room. I would rather have 4 lines of concise description than 10 lines of brilliant writing. I do however like for the detail to be available by looking at or examining individual features in the room.

Probably though those things wouldn't stop me playing a MUD if I liked it. What would however is if there were not good oppertunities for roleplay. This could occur because of roleplay cliques, very few players around or because players do not stay IC. I can apreciate people who like roleplay to be enforced, I personally would prefer that staying IC was a matter of good ettiquette than rigorously enforced, but very few MUDs seem to opperate on that policy - perhaps because it is very difficult.
Maraz is offline   Reply With Quote