View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 06:03 PM   #32
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
You could, but in most cases it's much easier to handle supernatural afflictions such as vampirism separately from the race itself.

Well we're talking about the design here - they're only "regular" skills if you choose to make them such within the scope of your design.  And my argument is that the design should take your race into consideration when determining what "regular" skills are available.

Sorry, but no - a wolf simply cannot learn to use one-handed weapons, any more than a human can learn how to fly, or how to use four-handed weapons.  As I said before, you're basing your assumptions on a human perspective.

A creature with (flight-capable) wings can fly, just as a creature with legs can walk, and a creature with hands can hold weapons.  These are natural abilities, but they can also be trained.

From a human perspective it's easy to think of running and wielding weapons as being "regular" skills that anyone can learn - but if you were a lindworm with wings but no arms or legs, you wouldn't be able to do either.  However you'd probably consider it fairly normal to learn skills related to flying, tail-usage, etc.  Equally, if you were a Thri-kreen you would probably consider four-weapon fighting styles to be pretty standard, but it doesn't make sense for a human to be able to learn such a skill (unless they are somehow able to grow an extra pair of arms).

The point I'm trying to make is that by designing your races flexibly enough to support their natural abilities (such as running skills, flying skills, tail skills, breath skills, 1-4 (or more) handed weapon skills, innate magical skills, etc) you're effectively turning your races into classes, at least from a game-design perspective.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote