View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 07:04 AM   #43
Nymeria

Nymeria is on a distinguished road
Re: What are the differences between a MUD and a MUSH?

That's a very good point. Looking that from a MUSH perspective, its not uncommon for a MUSH to add some coded support, and then you will get some players who feel it is too much already, and some who feel that if X is coded, then Y needs to be coded to.

To use my own game as an example, we decided when we started that we liked some things from Elendor (my partner and I both started out there), but we felt that it was hampering female players and other non-combattants to have only skills and code for combat, healing and languages. So, we tried to design a CG with a more extensive skill set, and some coded systems other than combat to play into the social and political aspects of the game.

We've had a pretty mixed response. Other Elendor players find it strange, and players from a World of Darkness background find it interesting but perhaps not developed enough.

Right now, we're actually looking at getting a full combat system done since the plot line we've just begun could really use it. At the same time, we're looking at whether can maybe tweak the CG some to make it less complex and remove some unrealistic elements. Because I do think code can both help and hinder realism; I prefer purely RPed combat to combat that is handled by very simplistic code, for example. But the key is finding the right balance between too much and too little code, and that balance will vary from game to game. For some, any code will be too much code.
Nymeria is offline   Reply With Quote