View Single Post
Old 09-29-2003, 06:40 AM   #28
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
I understand what you've said, I just disagree with it, and was hoping you could give some reason for why there shouldn't be reconfigurable colours and prompts other than "there's no reason it should be changed".  Customisation adds a great deal to a game, while taking absolutely nothing away from it.  There is absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be added, other than lacking sufficient time or technical ability.  I could understand if you felt there were more important things to spend your time on, but you actually appear to think such optional customisation is a bad thing which somehow detracts from the mud!

And you've still failed to explain how my gaming atmosphere is made more cohesive because Bubba the Barbarian is prevented from adding "berserk duration" to his prompt.

As you yourself stated, "In text games, as in novels, presentation makes a huge difference...presentation provides the flavoring".  But not everyone likes the same flavours, and by forcing everyone to play your vanilla flavoured mud, you're cutting out all of those who like chocolate, strawberry, raspberry, etc.

The logical course of action for anyone wanting to run a successful mud is to let each player choose their own individual flavour.  And when that can be done without any impact whatsoever on the other players, so much the better!
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote