View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 10:00 AM   #8
Voidrider

Voidrider is on a distinguished road
Re: mud builders make enough money??

Yes, traditionally, entertainment and vice reign during economical times of strife. I think this has always been the case and will continue to be so. I don't watch any tv and home at all, almost never rent movies to watch at home, either, but I regularly see Monday matinees of new movies and I have seen a trend in just the last three months. Many more people sitting in the seats.

Statistically, this even includes unemployed. Everyone needs their escape and, as I work in the hospitality business, I find everyone is looking for a deal most of all; value that exceeds their expectations.

I pretty much try out everything new online and quite often get the chance to participate in beta tests (in two at the moment). I have tried Cartoon Network's Fusionfall, Free Realms, Mech Quest (I think it is called), Wizardry 101 and Ether Saga most recently. What I see is an enormous swing towards "free" to play graphical games with options to spend real money in various ways. To me, most of the browser-based ones are a dime a dozen (like Mech Quest) but some of these others are likely to zoom in popularity based on their quality alone. I feel even the MMO big guns out there will likely be impacted more if companies continue to produce games with such overall quality.

MUDs may continue to have their developers, especially people like myself who simply use them as a creative outlet and part-time hobby, but what I really fear is the gradually decline of role-players, themselves. In almost every major MMO there is a recognized niche of RPers, even servers devoted to them, and in almost every major MMO, these same servers get removed or merged as the developers apparently don't see the need for them. The players that are interested in immersion gradually decline or become overwhelmed by the "leet speakers" and many new MMOs (of all types) simply have no appropriate home for them to begin with.

Most MUD admins/developers would agree that text games probably offer one of the best roleplaying opportunities available to a gamer, I know I do. With the advent of fewer people interested in rping at all, I can see how MUDs are at a growing risk of being swept under the rug. To be honest, I am surprised Simutronics or any text game company can get away with charging for their games. Sure, Dragon Realms gave me many great memories but Simu has never lowered their subscription costs, even as they lost chunks of their player population. I think only diehards remain. They don't really need the money as long as they continue to sell their new graphic engine, I suppose.
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote