View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #50
locke
Banned

Home MUD: nimud.divineright.org 5333
locke is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Revolutionary New OLC and Scripting

Ok, first of all you cannot assume a fact is true just because there is only some evidence that points to the existence of a particular version. Although it's hard to find real evidence of anything digital, let's talk about the fact that Isles15 was already working its way across the internet.

I called this version 15 and the next 16, even though they predated the Isles 1.1, which is the cited one. The reason these versions predate The Isles 1.1 is because they were the original versions that were released as "The Isles" with little or no mention of NiMUD. The Isles 1.1 was an oversight of my childhood, it could have been called something else. People virally downloaded TheIsles15.tar.gz and its sequel source TheIsles16.code.tar.gz, but complained about it not being 100% compatible with Merc 2.2. (They had to install it themselves.) It took a year before someone, Jason Dinkel, ported it.

In the beginning I wanted "TheIsles" to be as popular as "Merc", but I didn't have the desire to actually follow through and ended up making NiMUD instead when it became apparent the only thing they wanted was OLC. Since then, NiMUD has garnered its own following, but at the time these things were rather new.

It's certainly not very fraudulent that I claim the October 1993 copyright date. Even if you claim there is no proof or something, the fact remains that it WAS written in 1993 and not in 1994, if you want to take this as fact.

Plus, as the co-author and primary project lead, I'm TELLING YOU, it was available in 1993 and at the end of 1993 it was released to some group of MUDders. It was basically anybody who wrote me an email got a copy. That's a pretty liberal distribution scheme, and this is how someone ELSE may have uploaded it to Thoric in 1994.

If you took personal feelings into the equation because someone asserted something on Wikipedia, and it was later disproved, you should be happy that this happened at least in one way: you got to clear up any misperceptions and you were able to provide corrolated evidence, helping to shape the picture in some pseudo-accurate way. Harboring a grudge about it won't get you very far, nor will it make you happy; instead, you should just let it go.

I *STILL* remember you saying something positive about Worldgen.c, but anyway since then you've adamantly denied it. That's pretty sad. I mean that literally, not tongue-in-cheek. Like: "That's sad, Kavir, thought you were a fan."
locke is offline   Reply With Quote