View Single Post
Old 09-25-2002, 02:59 PM   #24
truthfulthomas

truthfulthomas is on a distinguished road
MUDs aren't required in their abstract to post the average number of players online, or whether they are RP enforced, playerkill restricted, or are capable of handling ANSI colors, or anything else for that matter. Most will just post whatever they think will attract someone to take a closer look. Any reasonably smart person is going to click the info button and make sure the MUD has at least some of the features they are looking for before they check that MUD out. At the same time, there is nothing keeping free MUDs from noting this in the information that appears in the abstract (and some already do). Pressing the info button based on four or five lines of hard sell only to find that a MUD is pay-to-play is hardly an imposition.

Some of it, I guess, is just a matter of priorities. For some people, whether or not a MUD charges to play might be important. But for others it won't be. I'm far more interested in whether a MUD is RP enforced, allows playerkilling, and saves equipment at logoff than I am in whether they charge money to play. It would get pretty cumbersome to create a whole system of silly little icons for all of us who just can't wait for the info page to load to see if MySuckMUD has the features we want or not.
truthfulthomas is offline   Reply With Quote