View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: Preferred inventory type

I think that is a wise choice.

When I saw this thread title, I thought it would be basically a discussion of weight vs. slot inventory. I pretty much thought the whole "blank void" vs. "carried" items question was pretty universally decided.

Sure, that "blank void" is generally called a backpack or something, but even in graphical games you don't see an actual backpack (or any other packs) dangling off the character model. Why? Because people don't want to look like a vagabond.

In , we have a weight based inventory. It definitely adds some gameplay options. There are certain suits of armor that are desired largely because they provide a great armor-to-weight ratio. Some people will use Cloud Armor, for example, over slightly better armor that is heavier. The negative of weight based is that players are sometimes confused by it - especially if they pick up a few especially heavy items or if they forget they are carrying a large number of lower value coinage.

In , we have a slot based inventory. By that I mean a fixed # of items you can carry. You increase this by carrying bags or packs, but you actually put items into these bags or packs. Players do this not only to increase their carrying capacity but also for organization.

Characters also have a build in quest item inventory that they cannot put items into or take items out of. It is specifically for things an NPC might give you for a quest or that you might find and need to take to an NPC. We do not make much use of this, however, as we prefer our items in the game to be more "realistic" and generally useable rather than specifically quest-flagged.

Lastly, characters have a trade inventory that can handle a couple items. This is basically a workspace for crafters to help them avoid accidentally using the wrong components or resources when they are making something.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote