View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #47
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

Uh, not really. Do you have a browser open? There's your chat client. Facebook, gmail, etc. have made it so you don't even need a standalone IM client any more.

None of this changes the fact that when someone is tabbed out to their chat window, they can't see what is going on in the game at all, and thus they are FAR MORE distracted. They are physically distracted as well as mentally.

I think this is the real reason right here, and honestly this strikes me as just stubbornness. At some point, some people decided "OOC channels = bad, m'kay" and they don't want to budge regardless of the reality of the situation.

Here's the unfortunate truth: Every single game has OOC chat channels. I don't like it, but its the sad reality we've been living in ever since ICQ. Whether its AIM, Facebook, Gmail, or "[chat]" in game, you have them. Anyone who thinks they don't have ooc channels in their game is just being ignorant of the reality of the internet. In the end, every game has OOC channels whether they like them or not. The difference is whether you maintain SOME level of control and discipline over them (in game) or just let people go crazy and do whatever abuse they want (out of game).
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote