View Single Post
Old 02-15-2016, 06:11 AM   #1
Pootytangx

Pootytangx is on a distinguished road
Looking for advice Coding/MUDing

I've been a MUD veteran for over a decade now but I never bothered to learn any coding languages. Here lately playing MUDs hasn't been nearly as fun as it used to and I've kinda been toying with the idea of learning to code. Maybe even go to school for it if I can pick it up some on my own and think it will be worth my while to pursue.

I was curious if the MUD community could help me out with some advice as to which direction I should take to just get a taste. Is there a stock mud I can download and tinker with as an admin? Which coding language should I focus on right now that would really assist me in tinkering with a MUD. Should I just find an established MUD and see if one will take me under their wing as a builder and learn things that way? Would it be better to just go through all the programming tutorial videos on Youtube and leave the MUDing part alone because its too complex for a newbie to code?

I spent a handful of hours one night watching an HTML for beginners video and was able figure out a few things. It was pretty basic to understand and if I could pick up coding as easy as that I'd really like to jump in it head first. I've got nothing but time at this point so I don't mind a huge undertaking but I really want to be sure what I'm delving into is the right choice for what I'm interested in doing in the long term.

Thanks in advance!
Pootytangx is offline   Reply With Quote