View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 08:29 AM   #12
Xerihae

Name: Chris
Xerihae will become famous soon enough
Re: Determining the Origin and Meaning of RPI

So come up with a less ambiguous acronym and use that instead. I don't know how many times this has to be said before it sinks in. Stop whinging that the original, ambiguous term got hijacked and deal with the future instead of complaining about how much better things were in the past.

Honestly, I don't even know how this discussion has lasted so long. The history of this should really have gone something like:

1 - RolePlaying Intensive term coined by players of original three "RPI" games.
2 - Term gets hijacked due to it being ambiguous in its meaning, despite intentions of original coiners, because no matter how much they say "it defines a set of features as well" there's no mention of that in the acronym.
3 - Original coiners go "Oops, I guess what the acroynm stands for could be used by other MUDs. Better come up with something that's not so easily used by any MUD that considers itself to have intensive roleplay."
4 - New term adopted.
5 - End of argument.

Instead we get thread after thread on here about this whole silly mess, with the same people on both sides arguing and flaming each other. I, and I think a few people on here will share this sentiment, am getting sick of the whole thing. As we all know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but so is the ability to know when obit's funny and oh-so-accurate dead horse photo is the reality and move on.
Xerihae is offline   Reply With Quote