View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #13
Disillusionist

Disillusionist will become famous soon enough
Re: Deck Chairs on the Titanic

Anyway, back on topic:

Thank you, Fern, for a reasoned response. I really enjoy the TMS forums.
Reasonable people from all over the gaming industry, players and admins alike, have something to offer of genuine value. My deepest hope would be that the admins of my former game realize that this is a -golden- opportunity for genuine reform.

I mean, after eleven years, no one wants to give up, and no one I know of wants to see the game tanked. If the game was so fragile that one player could actually destroy it, then good riddance.

However, there is no sane way to suggest that after eleven years, a game would be slowing bleeding to death because of one person. It's the symptom of a series of problems, and rather myopic to imply that there is a simple fix.

Personally, I'd love to see them ditch usage-based skill advancement. The player dropoff after implementation and consistent player complaints about it are more than a wake-up call.
I also wouldn't mind seeing the top admins acting a great deal more professionally, and quintuple their customer service skills, taking this tailspin as a clear indication that poor customer service is directly reflected in attendance numbers.

It will be an uphill climb, no doubt. In an eleven year history, I'm willing to guess more than 2000-2500 players have come and gone, quite possibly many more, and the market of future players is insecure. Once that many people have tried the game and found it less preferable than other games, getting them to return is probably impossible without a monumental change, and a diligent effort. And every discontented player can easily represent two more that never visit a game. Word travels fast.

Worst-case scenarion:
The actual issue is personal problems with the top admin. If many players simply find they can't abide the end-all be-all, the game is inevitably doomed, and one can only have faith in the expectation of miracles that an admin would undergo sincere change. Again, player numbers are the lifeblood, and negligence to this simple business principle is a fatal mistake.
Disillusionist is offline   Reply With Quote