View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 06:05 AM   #6
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: A question.

Agreed...it can vary quite a lot from mud to mud, but I could certainly see highly active players racking up a few mb per day on certain games - particularly if there are large room descriptions containing a lot of colour (such as ASCII maps)...think how often you type "look", or move to another room and autolook.

I believe MCCP was primarily added for the benefit of muds, not players, as most players were already on broadband when the protocol was first introduced. One of the first muds to use it was Aardwolf, back in 2001, and Lasher reported that it reduced his bandwidth usage (over an unspecified period of time) from 230mb down to 42mb - that's down to nearly 18% of its previous amount, which is not an insignificant saving for the mud owner even by todays standards.

However it can also be beneficial for players who have bandwidth restrictions. An obvious example is mobile phone clients - I use my Android to connect to my mud when I'm not at home, and I've got a limit of 200mb per month.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote