View Single Post
Old 08-05-2004, 09:06 PM   #73
karlan

karlan is on a distinguished road
I would have to disagree with this, while I prefer classless systems, it is only when they are limited, and there is no rule that says a class based system has to limit stats (for example you could have a bright yet weak warrior, he'd suck in melee combat using a broadsword with a style that relies on brute strength. H*LL you could even use it as a background for better RP, he joind the guard because his father made him do it, he is more suited to being a clergyman/mage/clerk, but he he is - actually come to think of it, we had a guy like this in my platoon *ponder*).

Classless systems can be really lame if there is no limit to what can be learnt. It takes time and effort to be a master smith/swordsman/mage/dancer/... and I fell a game supposedly based around RP should reflect this. I agree there should be no impediment to trying to do all of these, but you've surely heard the phrase "Jack of all trades, master of none", it should be possible to be a mediocre ballet warrior smith mage, but to master them all (with all the study/practice that would/should be required...) is a bit of a stretch.
karlan is offline   Reply With Quote