View Single Post
Old 05-12-2002, 03:54 AM   #28
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
I would... *evil grin*
No seriously, we have restricted colors mostly to what is pre-set in the code, meaning we use different standard colors on room names, exits, room descs, mobs and object long descs, plus that we allow certain words to be highlighted.

I once wanted to change the room desc colour from green to blue in all 'water' rooms, but one of my co-imps flatly refused and he might be right, too much colour soon becomes an eyesore. And if you left the decision to the builders, you'd end up with a mud looking like a christmas tree, becuase most of them would do just about anything to attract attention (you just have to look at their titles to realise that).

However, we actually do have some red rooms, and the colour there actually IS meant to torment the players. There is a number of Glowing Lava rooms, and those don't only hurt your eyes, they drain you of hp with each tick, so if you stay too long you die.

And there is another red room, the boudoir of a lovesick Nymph, who incessantly spams you with vows of her undying love. That room is a sort of quest - the quest is how to get out of the room and AWAY from the irritating female, muhaha.

Otherwise, what I like most with colours is that you can use them to create 'illusions'. You can make mobs that look exactly like objects and vice versa. And above all, you can make objects totally invisible in a room by using a single { as long desc.

That's what I mostly use colours for. Little quirks like that, not rainbow coloured objects.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote