Thread: Types of Mu*
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #11
Will

Will is on a distinguished road
Re: Types of Mu*

You use the @show verb to look at the props and verbs defined on an object and @list to dump code to the screen. Copy/paste it to a text editor and work offline all you want. To upload to the game, copy your code, log onto the server, paste and disconnect. I know you said you wanted to use FTP because of unreliable internet service, but connecting to a MOO server is no more bandwidth intensive than uploading stuff via FTP.

I have megs of script files on my HD. It's nice to have them at my fingertips when I want to make changes or restore something that someone has accidentally deleted or screwed up.

I'm not a big fan of LambdaCore (JH is a direct mod). I've spent some time messing around with it 'cause I wanted to see how stuff was implemented and copy some of its code, but it's way too open with player privileges for my taste. And everything in LambdaCore is so interconnected that it'd be more work to change all that basic tool-level stuff than it'd be worth. If you don't mind all the invasive tools LambdaCore gives to players and just want to start quickly, JHCore will work. You just have to spend some time playing with it to learn how everything works. If you're serious about creating a quality immersive experience, however, I suggest building your own core. It makes for a little more work, but the end results would be well worth the time and effort, in my experience.

Few tips for exploring LambdaCore:

• Type commands by themselves for syntax explanations.

• Look at the LambdaCore manuals:

• Join the MOO mailing list--ask questions, scour the archives:

• And I'm always willing to help.

I hope LambaMOO turns out to be what you're looking for.

Good luck!
Will is offline   Reply With Quote