Thread: Autoquests
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
Mae

Mae is on a distinguished road
Re: Autoquests

I think it could be done in an immersive way. Just ensure that the 'auto quest' giver has a reason to be doing so. If you can set the parameters of the generated quests to be sensible with the quest giver.

I don't know how complex the generated quests could be though. I tend to despise the fetch quests and the ones I've built in the past generally include multiple steps and puzzle elements.

If I were to off-the-cuff think of a concept that I think is workable within this framework in an IRE game... an engineer/foreman constructing in the deep woods some sort of complex. He's got workers to feed, nasty forest critters to contend with, and maybe some aggravated locals to calm or destroy.

If you could set the parameters and have a list of critters that could emerge upon accepting a quest, plus use a local mobile group to set as aggressive or friendly to the engineer that the player has to either kill or persuade, and maybe set up some items to locate for harvesting, construction, or food sources for his men.

I don't know if that's at all do-able coding wise, or if it would be too much work builder-end to set up the parameters to make it -interesting- and still add to the story while being a nifty add on to the questing in your world.

Not sure if that made sense or not! But there's my thoughts for what they are worth :P
Mae is offline   Reply With Quote