DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Re: RPI, RPE, and Roleplay

RPI, in my mind, refers to Armageddon, which inspired Harshlands and those folks who created the RPI Engine. I always repeat this argument, because it's the one that makes the most sense to me - and I've not really seen it refuted. Like SMAUG, or CIRCLE, or any other engine that was built off of DIKU, RPI is a codebase. To me, an RPI MUD would be the game that inspired the codebase (ARM), the MUDs that use that codebase (Atonement, Harshlands, Black Sands and Shadows of Isildur currently) - and any MUDs that build their feature set in meaningful emulation of the RPI Engine.

Arguing semantics and the list of qualifications necessary to brand yourself RPI seems like an impossible, circular debate. If you want to call your MUD an RPI, when it doesn't resemble what RPI players think of when they use the phrase, that's your call. I don't think that it's a very good choice. Why?

It's a codebase. People recognize the codebase. It could potentially be disappointing or confusing to the people who are familiar with the RPI Engine.

Last edited by DonathinFrye : 03-08-2010 at 06:02 PM.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote