View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #33
Ghostcat

Home MUD: Unwritten Legends
Ghostcat is on a distinguished road
Re: Dealing with RP Attention Hogs

Player's point of view here.

In my primary game, we occasionally get varying levels of RP hogs.
The staff don't need to intervene much, since we've never had the '60mph scroll' hogs.

Very very rarely, however, a newbie will suddenly appear, run into the room, and demand instant attention to his vital RP story.

Once was an outcast who ran into a bar and insisted that everyone jump up and search for the pack that was trying to kill him.
Meanwhile, everyone told him that the city is guarded well, and the people in room could protect him from just about anything. Well, he finished panicking when nobody got involved, and left. Sadly, that character was never seen again.

That kind of case doesn't really require any IMM intervention.

In another case, massive IMM intervention was needed to stop a high ranking noble that kept killing people (It's illegal), degrading other players, and trying to set off a war that nobody wanted.

When i asked his player about it, he replied 'I don't play (Game name), I play (His Character name).'

That encapsulates the thinking of the extreme RP hogs, I think. They're not trying to be a part of a community, they just want their action, and all the attention.
Ghostcat is offline   Reply With Quote