View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road
Re: a little problem

I understand what you are saying, and I have seen this not only in the MUD world, but in tabletop games as well.

There are many, many factors that can go into role-playing a persona. Not everyone (heck, not even two people) completely agrees on "the how to do it". I have never had a problem with "being" the character (might be a psych paper lying around waiting to happen...), but when I play a character I am no longer there. I do not think about how I would react, I just let them react. I tend to use an imaginative method.

Part is understanding the character. You have to know them and their motivations, mannerisms, ticks, likes/dislikes and allow them to "be". How this understanding comes about is as varied as the characters themselves.

You can plan the character, for instance and allow your imagination to let them soar. You can also come in with a slight understanding of them and then let every interaction build them in your mind.

It sounds like you are doing the second, but analyzing whether this is how you (the player) view the character instead of allowing the character's action/reactions inform you of who the character is. If you are then you are using a method closer to method acting.

Both methods are valid, as are others. It is a matter of time and practice in getting better.

Role-play is an amazing field of escapism. Stick with it!
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote