View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
SelfCoded

SelfCoded is on a distinguished road
Re: How do Diku .are files work?

Very true, the descriptions are easy to find of course. But yes, very, very tedious. Even if trying to program something to do this is time consuming enough that it doesn't save me 'work', at least I'll learn something rather than merely reinforcing how much I hate Data Entry.

I don't think I'm going to run into performance issues with Python. MUDs have been around for an extremely long time (well, relative to when I was born and to computers in general), and their requirements have far from kept up with the hardware. That's actually one of the reasons I think that more codebases should take advantage of powerful scripting languages instead of C++; take advantage of the extra hardware that we have now. Yes, it's not as fast or as memory friendly as C++. But it is much more memory efficient than Java ( ) , which has been used for MUDs for quite some time (and yes, it is worth noting that those MUDs sometimes run into memory problems, but again, much more memory efficient). The server that's hosting my MUD for cheap also has an SSD hard drive that can be relied on via pagefile if the memory falls short, which should work fine for this. But if I do run into memory problems, I'll embed Lua and have it do some of the more frequent chores or something, especially anything math intensive (That benchmark showed Lua at being worse at everything than Python. I think that's because those tests seem to focus on strings, as I think Lua is generally considered to be faster and more memory efficient than Python). Evennia is very flexible. That and pypy, as you mentioned.

I'm not concerned about moving over mobprogs, so I guess that's good heh.

You're right that I could be biting off more than I can chew, but it's looking a lot more plausible now than it did when I started this thread. Now I have documentation and an area editor someone started from Kline. Hopefully Tyche will let me use his, though. Even if it doesn't work out of the box for me, it'd be a lot easier to modify it than create my own from scratch

Last edited by SelfCoded : 04-08-2013 at 06:41 PM.
SelfCoded is offline   Reply With Quote