View Single Post
Old 03-02-2006, 08:54 AM   #6
Aarn

Aarn is on a distinguished road
I think this is often true. I personally wouldn't mind adding another 20-30 people to CFs average player count, but we're not willing to dumb it down to increase the size. We as imms have not hesitated in the past to tell a player that we think they should go play a different MUD, when they've consistently prooven themselves far below our standards.

Sometimes it's not necessarily even "lower quality" players. They may just not be suited to our style of gameplay - maybe they really need to be at a MUD that allows them to go OOC when they want to, or has a gossip channel. We will always tell them they should go look for a MUD like that, rather then consider accomodating them on ours. Anyway, there are other means of growth besides allowing "lower-quality" players to the mix, but they tend to be a much slower route.

I think a MUD dies when its player base is *declining* to levels far below what it once was. I emphasize declining because that's the key. If the MUD has always had a peak of 17 players, then those players are used to that, the world is designed around that, and that's what everyone likes. If the MUD used to have a peak of 80 and now it has a peak of 17, that says to me that it's hemmorging players, and likely staff, and is all but dead. If a MUD is brand new and has just reached a peak of 17 players, then it's a growing MUD, not a dying MUD. In other words, it's relative.
Aarn is offline   Reply With Quote