View Single Post
Old 01-20-2008, 12:43 AM   #11
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: Builders, what do you look for in a MUD?

I don't have a real preference in TYPE of mud since muds will call themselves all sorts of stuff whether or not they really fit that genre. What I do prefer is a consistent world story and a consistent writing style. Also, I prefer a limited number of builders with one builder in charge of determining the style of writing, the rules for writing, and double checks most entries before writing is accepted and implemented for the world. The reason I require this is because I believe in a seamless world rather than a world where you can point out, "This area has bad writing" or "Build B built areas A, C, and F while Builder X definitely built areas E, G, and K." I require a consistent world story because I believe that the world really shouldn't be as believable as possible rather than chopped up in distinct areas.

I'll build it all. I honestly have no preference. Sometimes I like to do something that's very nature-ish, and other times I want to build a polluting, nasty, encroaching city. I keep multiple building projects open at once in order to take advantage of whatever mood I'm in. This sometimes causes delays in some areas, though, so it's not always the best way to work, especially if you have deadlines.

The total room description (including exits) is never any more than 23 lines for me.

I prefer to build exotic, non-sentient NPCs, usually magical or mutated in construct. I usually base them off creatures that really exist and then decide how they got from their original form to their current form. I'm a biology major with an emphasis in ecology and genetics. This is a chance to actually use that degree.

I prefer no program and simply hard-coding everything I build. I have total control over what I'm doing then.

Medieval fantasy, sword and sorcery, muds based on books, they're all fine for me as long as the storyline is solid and consistent.

See the answer to #1.

I like color, but I like the sparse use of color. I like strict rules on where to use color because if color is splashed everywhere, then it ceases to really have any impact on me.

I like both having done both.

I realize that my ideals for building are pretty exacting. I don't think that what I like is best, but it works best for someone like me.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote