View Single Post
Old 05-01-2002, 06:25 AM   #14
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
After "20+ years of making games" you have to resort to geo****ties for free web hosting? You can't afford $30 for a domain name and $5-20 a month for web hosting?

Honestly, I am not trying to attack or flame you, but surely you can see why people doubt the veracity of your claims.

As for Neverwinter Nights being unique: how? Vampire: The Masquerade, Dungeon Siege, and Morrowind all have extremely advanced ediors for building worlds. The editors for the last two contain the exact tools the developers used to make their worlds. There have been plenty of other games as well that released robust editing tools and yet resulted in nothing (or very little) of any quality.

How about the old gold box program Unlimited Adventurers. It was a bomb, and the stuff people made for it was mostly junk.

Relying on fan created content to create an enduring game is never going to result in quality product. There is a reason professional game designers are professionals who get paid, and fans are the people who slap down their money and buy the games.

> It is not a matter of some good mods, it is 24/7 Persistant Worlds

Do you really think mere fans are going to host 24/7 persistent worlds on their computers? Do you think that will provide any degree of reliability? If its so easy, why aren't you running a web server over your connection so you don't have to use geocities? How long is Bioware going to invest money to support the game once they are no longer selling copies?

Seriously.... looking at NWN as some kind of holy grail of online gaming is extremely naive. You said you've done research, but if you had, you would see the history. Fan made content is mostly crap. The majority of people have absolutely no talent or ability for MAKING a game.

Furthermore, the D&D rules might be good for pen and paper gaming, but on a computer, they're crap. You have this massive computer capable of millions of calculations per second, and you tell it to make one d20 roll per round?

I *hope* NWN will be fun. I *hope* that the fan base of millions will result in at least a handful of fun levels/mods/etc. I am sure the game will do well financially on hype alone (look at Dungeon Siege... the game is crap, but it has succeeded simply because so many people bought it at release).

But saying it is going to revolutionize online gaming is just silly. If NWN is going to create armies of superb game designers and hundreds of great "games", why hasn't Microsoft Word created armies of super novelists and hundreds of great free books?
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote