View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
Parnassus

Parnassus is on a distinguished road
Re: Ideal wilderness versus town sizes

This concept always confuses me. If you use Earth as an example and use a ratio of one room per square mile, that would be about 195,000,000 rooms, and over 135,000,000 of them would be water. TMS considers a huge world to be over 20,000 rooms.

I don't understand the maps without gaps either, since I always expect that some roads will be dead ends and some areas will be impassable, especially in mountains or swamps. Arbitrary room sizes may be boring to you but I find it boring to write or walk those 50 miles between cities.

I agree with you on relative distances though. I'll admit that I rarely use a mapper but that areas that don't map properly bother me anyways. If I need to walk five blocks along A Street to get from First Avenue to Second Avenue, I expect to have to walk five blocks along B street to get from First Avenue to Second Avenue, regardless of how long those blocks are.

If you're really set on not having areas overlap, a (very poor) suggestion might be to work out your connector areas and map out a possible 10x10 or 20x20 space to fit a not yet written area into. The 20x20 would give you gaps but would be more flexible for your builders.

If you're planning to have a wilderness ratio and an urban ratio, you'll probably find that your connector areas go a bit odd anyway.

And if none of this is remotely like anything you were talking about, sorry.
Parnassus is offline   Reply With Quote