Thread: Starting a mud
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2005, 09:38 PM   #1
Khaavren

Khaavren is on a distinguished road
I'm just putting down a few of my ideas for a possible future mud. I'm in the process of learning C, C++, getting a computer built for me on newegg.com, and I will probably buy a year of service at mudmagic or wolfpaw. To start off with char creation would have several balanced options.
opt. 1-Straight forward pick and choose
opt. 2-Short childhood role-play
opt. 3-Pregen chars (list and category can choose to role-play given background or write own)
opt. 4-Random characters (system to make sure they're more or less balanced)
-Enough skills to keep each character unique. Generated desc with selected features.
-Match your physique to skills and stats (rare 7" thief or 2" barbarian penalized).

Combat

-Dynamic brutal combat system (sword to head contact equals a split skull)
-Small combat panel controlling combat style for automated combat or opt for manual commands
-Mostly defensive maneuvers unless a reckless character (berserker)
-Few swing and misses unless against an inhumanly evasive opponent.
-Anything goes. Headbutt, throw your sword, or give them the Captain Insano eye-poke.
-Get into non-fatal bar fights. Break bottles, knockdown tables, or leave them headfirst in the wall.
-Match your eq to your stats and skills. A midget in plate mail? Maybe custom made.
-Can use all eq but effectiveness depends on skills.
Magic

-Vibrant magic system
-Face it magic is the most powerful force in the realms. Why? Because it's powered on life-force. Make your own focus and use your blooddagger to steal energy from victims. Or pay a warrior to drain enemies for you. Draw energy from earth-based energy nodes, heartstones, and magical items. Or draw from your own vitality.
-Mages are battles mammoths. But fighters have developed techniques to defend against magic and you can only cast so many spells.
-Gain limited magical items by pooling resources with a colleague or take them from corpses.

Thievery

-Never overlook the thief.
-A thief can fight but why should he when he can leave you penniless without risking his life.
-Stealing isn't easy. Get caught and you will be either fined, dehanded, and even beheaded. Recognizable fenced items must go through the right channels, learn them well.
-Achieve near legendary skills and try to rob the near-impenetrable Imperial Treasury or con a bank or shop.
-Dungeons and ruined cities may hide treasures and traps. Both you and a warrior hear about a buried treasure? He's probably not going to get past that swinging pendulum blade. If he does then lay your own nasty surprises.

Skills

-As massive a list as I can accomplish and keep each skill practical and usable.
-Put your own signature on some of the skills.
-Improve from use, learn from a teacher, or enroll in a school (tuition).
-It doesn't take long to become competent but you'd better be dedicated if you want to be the best.

Crafting

-Huge crafting system
-Anything from simple repairs to works of art.
-May gain a reputation and attract the notice of an important noble.
-Mass produced items as well as custom items, as well as rare limited items.
-One lifetime masterpiece after you become a craft master.
-Heard about really exciting way to implement crafting on forums.

NPCs

-Constantly in motion and doing tasks. Economic and social flow are visible. Programmed to respond to a myriad amount of questions. Will respond to character’s condition, eq, accent, and others.

Worldwide Quests

-NPC’s and reader board release knowledge about a certain item. Becomes like Ed Greenwood's Band of Four books. And the widespread chaotic killing begins. Hostile npcs lay in wait and also slowly follow the trail.

Staff

-Love to have a large Armageddon-like staff eventually. VNPC's and constant updates. Maybe also take a one-day per week down time.

Other things I didn't mention

-Fight intelligent A.I. don't start with bunnies. A five year old could kill one.
-Money is life and while a living is easy to earn millions take work or luck.
-Good eq or technique could turn the battle against a more skilled opponent.
-Travel includes horses, carriages, ferries, ships, and magical gates. Walk to landmarks and conduct searches for specific areas and searches within areas for specific items.
-World-generated weather.
-Able to see figures at a distant in wilderness. Opens up ranged attacks.
-Titles may be bestowed upon players and special app may start with them. Players gradually replace NPC's. NPC nobles run errands, buy luxury items, and hire employees.
-Can be hired on as a guard for a caravan or ship. Usually medium-length, might encounter bandits, or rarely a fearsome monster. More jobs earn you a reputation among employers. Newer players might be hired on by a less free-spending employer.
-Difference in regional economies may encourage player caravans. Perils may await.
-I extremely like the idea of dynamic description.

All in all I just want feedback about the ideas and about which codebase to choose. I know I’ll probably have to write some but I want one that will support the most of these features and be the easiest to put these features into. Within the next week I’ll have my computer, compiler, and C books.

“That’s my motto: no regrets. That and everybody wang chung tonight.”
Khaavren is offline   Reply With Quote