View Single Post
Old 11-03-2004, 10:02 PM   #34
Yui Unifex

Yui Unifex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yui Unifex Send a message via AIM to Yui Unifex
Question

Sure I can. I think you are confused by my simplified statement about non-interference. It does not mean non-interference in all cases without exception, as that would allow anyone to murder anyone else without interference. My point is that by infringing upon someone else's rights, the company is performing some interference that justifies some amount of interference in return.

There is no right to be given a reason when a company no longer requires the services of an employee, therefore nothing was infringed and no interference is justified.

Sorry, I don't waste my time qualifying unless there's a dispute over meaning. Usually this takes the form of some fool assuming something and running with a ridiculous argument instead of requesting clarification on the contested point.

Uh, OK. Who cares if people act arbitrarily or not? Are horoscopes arbitrary? Definitely, and people believe them and follow their advice every day. Does that mean we can question their freedom to follow the advice of horoscopes? Absolutely not. I find your premise for argument to be extremely silly.

They can do whatever they want. If they want to make more or less money, it's none of my or your business unless it infringes upon our rights.

It's not against the law to be morally reprehensible, nor is it the function of the law to set standards on morality. But if you want to set standards on morality, I suppose you agree with the US ban on homosexual marriage and the continued war on drugs. If you think that your standards on morality are the only ones that should apply, I'd like to inform you that it doesn't quite work that way in the real world. As soon as you start legistlating my morality, you leave yourself completely open to others doing the same to you.

Now we're talking government-legislated monopolies (or the idiotic attempts at deregulation.) The same rules do not apply because they are mandated by the government. The public gives the government that mandate, and therefore the public is who they should answer to.

In the case of a private business, things are obviously different.

You should try small business or self-employment. You don't tend to worry about your boss when you are your boss.
Yui Unifex is offline   Reply With Quote