View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #44
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: In defense of all MUDs. Our genre's noteworthiness is being questioned.

Regarding the Canvassing issue: This is just another example of the aforementioned cabal protecting its turf. If the situation wasn't so disgusting, I'd be able to laugh about how the Wiki community has cleverly placed roadblocks all over the place to make sure only HARD CORE members of their community will ever have a say in things. It reminds me of when I practiced law. Lawyers make sure the law is crafted in such a way that it is nearly impossible for a non-lawyer to do much of anything. The fill it with ridiculous terms like "fee simple subject to a condition subsequent, with a springing reverter", and "Res ipsa loquitur" instead of just "the thing speaks for itself." The system is cooked from the beginning, and it is a shame Wikipedia has used the same tactic.

The only reason to make a big deal about canvassing is if you KNOW your entire case boils down to keeping outside opinions OUT, and only letting your own little cabal of cronies have a say in the matter.

Did the people who showed up as a result of this thread spam the AfD? No.

Did they deface or vandalize the page? No.

Did they present quality arguments that were 100% on topic, and in some cases directly cited Wikipedia rules and policies? Yes.

So why are Black Kite, Mendaliv, Crossmr, and others stamping their feet and throwing a temper tantrum about "canvassing" and "sockpuppets"?

SIMPLE: They do not want opposing arguments to be heard. They do not want the "other side" to even have a seat at the table. They only want their arguments presented, with a bunch of people patting them on the back, telling them how awesome they are, and adding dorky little badges to their user page.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote