Thread: Daedal Macabre
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2004, 05:56 PM   #15
Yuki

Yuki is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yuki
Long time no post. I think after the corruption of stuff like 2 years ago when everything was reset I just lost interest in posting. Anywho...

Eagelon is right that I lost interest. After logging some 13,000 hours at point into coding, administration, and everything else, you lose interest. I think I'm somewhere around 17,500 now.

Am I still interested? I am interested in keeping the server up and running, the game up and running, any major bugs gone, the general populace content, the administration in line, and gently guide things that seem to need guiding.

Levels... I hate them. There are so many things I dislike about Daedal Macabre because I am very self critical. Having some decent-to-good artistic talent in real life, the same mindset of being critical of your own work bleeds over. There is so much I would change about DM, especially since it is the first mud I ever created, ran, and poured my heart and soul into.

Now, a problem arises. I'm no longer in college. I can no longer put in 10-16 hour a day coding frenzies for months upon a time (that's how all those hours racked up quickly,) and I find that life is more than coding away for a mud. Job, financial security, future, girlfriend, personal happiness, and lack of stress all contribute to this.

Someday, somewhere, somehow, I'll probably start a mud from scratch again.

Is Daedal Macabre a good mud? For a long time, I didn't think it was that great, even though I was the owner of it and coded probably 80-90% of it. A few times I went to other muds just to see the atmosphere, and occasionally even helped them with a coding jam. I think that really opened my eyes up to see that instead of just being an above-mediocre mud, it more like an above average, perhaps below really good mud. Maybe just plain good without much adjective-ity involved.

Downfalls:
people sometimes don't roleplay.
AOL accounts are allowed (occasional retard player)
We're very nice and lenient (said retard player gets chances to improve, often keeping them around longer)

Trying to be objective here, but...
Personal Thoughts: combat system is stock/plain. still has levels. dragons, while neat, are not unique enough.

Positives:
Ability to customize -every- spell
Various ways to level without needing combat
We are very nice and lenient (goes both ways I guess)
Some interesting classes/races
Crafting system I like (could always improve)

There's a lot more for good and bad, but it would have to be personal opinion on the matter. I somehow doubt that any other sole (or maybe even co-) mud owner/programmer doesn't think his mud could be so much better, else they'd just stop coding and call it a 'finished product' or something.

If you are looking for a mud to try out, and aren't a RPI fanatic, but are willing to at least roleplay your race, class, sex, and some semblance of not you and not a mass murderer or ####### (yes, people have said they are roleplaying an ####### that's why they are such penile-implants to everyone and everything in the game, etc.) well, try it out. Don't just login, say eeewwww they have a hassan mob and quit, at least look around, get a feel, learn some stuff.

Anyhow, yah, this was long enough I think. I should get like +5 posts for this.
Yuki is offline   Reply With Quote