View Single Post
Old 08-27-2007, 06:32 PM   #16
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Roomless World Size

Actually it's not that hard, it just depends how you design it. I found the easiest way was to store compound sentences of hand-written dynamic text (i.e., each sentence also contains tags and conditional statements) and then assemble the description from those and then parse the dynamic elements afterwards. While it's not going to match the cohesion of a good well-written description, the results aren't too bad IMO - eg:

You are walking through Westgate Forest, the brown leaves which scatter the ground crunching beneath your boots. The late afternoon sky is heavy with dark clouds, and rain falls through the trees and on the ground around you. Many of the higher branches of these great maple and oak trees meet and interlock, creating a canopy of brown foliage high above you.

Obviously the quality of the writing is limited by the fact that building isn't my thing, but I think it reads okay from a cohesion perspective - and in my opinion it's proof of concept (with a good builder producing the compound sentences, the descriptions would look a lot prettier). I've certainly seen worse hand-written descriptions.

Right - I'm using a roomless system, so there's not really anything to pin a fixed pre-written description to.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote