View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
ruckus

Home MUD: retromud.org:3000
ruckus is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Looking for a MUD (tired of playing MMOs)

I'm happy to tell you that RetroMUD is exactly what you are looking for! I found RetroMUD while looking for an escape from the mindless churning (not to mention non-uniqueness) of Diku muds many years ago, and I haven't turned back for a second.

RetroMUD is an entirely original mud that consists of 6 different planets, each with their own magnitudes of depth in story-telling. Don't believe me? Welstar is one such planet that even has a backstory written about it's moon, Ambrosia...and the other planets can say the same.

Tired of everyone having the same skills at the same level with the same equipment and stats? And everyone churning through the same monsters over and over all by themselves?? So was I! You'll find none of that in RetroMUD! With over 60 (yes, 60!) playable races - each with their own stat potentials, advantages, disadvantages, slots, abilities, spell and skill propensity - you'll have no problem finding something you like! With RetroMUD's tiered guild approach, you're almost guaranteed to have a unique combination of skills, spells, and stats. You pick from 20 primary guilds, then can choose from over 40 secondary guilds, and then continue the process with near 100 tertiary guilds to fill up 100 mortal levels!

Sound interesting enough yet? Well, that's not all!

RetroMUD almost always has at least 10 active builders (wizards) at all times. There is continually changing content and new additions in the form of: areas, equipment, guilds, spells, skills, fun. It NEVER gets stale, and that has been true since it started in 1994! Imagine how much there is to find in the world of RetroMUD.

One last thing: RetroMUD is a cooperative party mud. This means that all of the guilds and abilities were designed to be inter-dependant. You won't find anyone out beating the big bosses and claiming all the exp and equipment by themselves. Rather, you'll need to construct a party of 8 adventurers who compliment each other well enough to take on the major challenges that are monsters in RetroMUD. Does that mean you can't function alone at times? Not at all! Merchants can repair, resize, and enhance equipment, fix and construct player-owned castles, and even run their own stores. Alchemists can elementalize armor and weapons, bards get additional powers for exploring!

There is always something to do on RetroMUD, and there are usually around 30-50 players on at any given time. Come join an intense party or just spend some time chatting with the others. You'll be guaranteed to see a few wizards and probably admin while you're there, and you can ask them any questions you want!

Check us out by telnetting over to retromud.org:3000, or browse the detailed information at our website: (note: website is undergoing a redesign as we speak!)

I look forward to seeing you there sometime!

Ruckus Bringer
ruckus is offline   Reply With Quote