View Single Post
Old 08-11-2004, 06:13 PM   #9
Yev

Amen. I also agree that the void issue falls largely to the staffer types, but not exclusively their problem.

I'm not saying that everyone should be running plots, what I do say though is that people should to /do/ something. Some things are simple affairs. While others are larger and do require support from the staff angle. That's where an inherant problem comes in: The conflict between what needs staff support, and what should be handled in the IC realm. (The answer differs by RP envirorment, so there is no hard fast answer) On one hand, overthrowing a government needs a lot of support, but throwing a party doesn't generally.

The line between where support is required or isn't can be harder though. Especially when it comes to skilled NPCs or the need for coded benefits. Do you say, "Find your stuff ICly?" or support in those cases? That's where the question is in allowing things to be run. It's a potential barrier to self-sufficiency, but sometimes letting those higher up know what's going on is a good thing.

- An unrelated thought: There are three main philosophies for staffing I am aware of from player and staff perspective (they can be mixed though): Coder (mainly working on code), RP leader (actively generating RP regularly), and Active Supporters (the concept of being more in business to support/help along the ideas of players as needed, but more lassez faire in RP related matters). - I think I've almost always been heavily in the third category, with smatterings of the first and second.