View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #84
Xerihae

Name: Chris
Xerihae will become famous soon enough
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

DIKU stands for Datalogisk Institut Københavns Universitet. If another group of students at this same facility had created a codebase, it would have been a misleading term that could cause confusion. Because there wasn't, it doesn't. You say "DIKU-based MUD" and everyone knows what you're talking about.

RPI is a completely different kettle of fish. This, according to you and players of "RPI's", stands for RolePlay Intensive. This is a phrase which could, and does, mean something in normal english usage. A MUD that doesn't fit your criteria could still be roleplay intensive regardless of whether you agree with the features of that game. Claiming that these other games can't use RPI when it is for all intents and purposes a normal, acceptable acronym because a bunch of people think it should only apply to games with a certain set of features is like saying I've decided other MUDs can't use the acronym RPE (RolePlay Enforced) any more because in mine and my mates game we enforce RP by having one staff member per player follow them around enforcing their RP, and the code watches to make sure you're RP-ing, so other games claiming to be RP-Enforced are inferior.

If the initial three games mentioned as "RPI's" want to have their own special acronym to signify a certain set of features, as has already been mentioned they need to come up with something a bit less generic. Just because something is in common usage doesn't make it right.